Re: BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 5 Mar 2001 to 6 Mar 2001 (#2001-62)

I would like to briefly address two issues under discussion:

1. If we no longer even own our own genes, how can we expect to own a
technique?
Blood samples were taken from two unique HIV resisitant patients for research
and study in the development of a cure for AIDS. While the researchers and
their medical facilities profited, the two patients received no compensation.
Patents have already been taken out on all sorts of genetic material, so that
no research can be done without paying royalties to the patent holders.

2. It is only honorable to request permission to use an author's text or
poetry.

When I created a unique book with the poetry of Sir Stephen Spender, I
requested permission from his estate via his agent. The living author, Li
Young Lee generously allows me to use his poems for my work. I always send
him slides and keep him informed of exhibitions of these books. My experience
has been that if it is a small limited edition or unique book this poses no
copyright problem.
Alice Simpson
apeachW96
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/tangobook/">