language and patents

I received a note, off list, suggesting that the word "patent" might have a
different connotation for the Brits. A timely thought when also discussing
the meaning and usage of words. Here, in New England, we can travel from
state to state and ask for a cabinet - sometimes getting a piece of
furniture, and other times an ice cream drink. Culture to culture - it is
amazing we communicate at all.

A.