Skin Deep - vol.11

Please excuse the cross-posting of this message.

Towards the end of last year we were informed that Guildford College will no
longer be running Bookbinding courses from its Stoke Park Campus in
Guildford, Surrey.  With this announcement came the news that the
bookbinding courses at Roehampton in South London, have also been earmarked
for closure.  Whilst colleges are managed by accountants as opposed to
educators, it is unlikely that we will see a reversal in this situation.
Over the last few years, the number of  young bookbinders leaving college
with a qualification, either an H.N.D. or B.A., has drastically declined and
with the ever  diminishing number of colleges where craft bookbinding is
taught, I often wonder what the future holds for the Craft.  Where are the
Bookbinders of the future going to come from................?

Mike Brunwin, a Course Leader at the London College of Printing  (one of the
last remaining colleges to offer a full-time education in Craft Bookbinding)
has written an article for this edition  of 'Skin  Deep'. The article
relates the history of the college and informs us of the excellent study
opportunities available there today.

Also in this issue, Nolan Watts, writer, publisher and bookbinder,
enlightens us with the story of Lithographic Printing.  The article covers
the history of Lithographic Printing and the methods still used today to
practise this old craft.

Our very own Roger Barlee writes about Aluminium Tannages - from whence they
came and how remarkably little the processes have
changed.

Skin Deep can be found at: http://www.hewit.com/skindeep.htm or downloaded
as a .pdf file from http://www.hewit.com/downloads.htm

We hope that you enjoy reading this edition of Skin Deep

best wishes,

David

David M. Lanning
J. Hewit & Sons Ltd.