Re: Storing Books

--=====================_11412790==_.ALT

At 10:48 AM 3/9/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>I am going to have to move some of my books from my house into an unheated
>garage I rented, and am trying to learn how to store them safely.  Are they
>better off in cardboard boxes (which let them "breathe") or in plastic
>(hence waterproof) storage boxes (like the ones rubbermaid makes)?  Do they
>need dessicant in with them (and if so, where can it be purchased)?  Any
>advise will be greatly appreciated.
>Thank you.
>Stu Copans

Stu, I don't know where you are, so I don't know if humidity will be a
problem, but since you mentioned desiccant . . .
         If you are storing them with desiccant, cardboard would negate its
effect. Your best bet would be the plastic storage boxes. Mere plastic bags
or sheeting are not impermeable to moisture and atmospheric gases, but they
would buffer their effects. Archival suppliers such as University Products
or Gaylord have a number of desiccant products. Both are on the web.
One of the most important things is NOT to store the books on the floor.
Raise them up on pieces of plastic-wrapped 2 x 4 lumber to isolate them
from moisture coming through the floor. Try to avoid stacking them near the
ceiling too, as there is where some of the most extreme temperature changes
will be found. If you need further guidelines, go to Conservation On-line,
http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/
This is a gold mine of conservation information.
Hope this helps -
Anne

--=====================_11412790==_.ALT

At 10:48 AM 3/9/2001 -0800, you wrote:<br>
my books from my house into an unheated<br>
garage I rented, and am trying to learn how to store them safely.&nbsp;
Are they<br>
better off in cardboard boxes (which let them &quot;breathe&quot;) or in
plastic<br>
(hence waterproof) storage boxes (like the ones rubbermaid makes)?&nbsp;
Do they<br>
need dessicant in with them (and if so, where can it be purchased)?&nbsp;
Any<br>
advise will be greatly appreciated.<br>
Thank you.<br>
Stu Copans</blockquote><br>
Stu, I don't know where you are, so I don't know if humidity will be a
problem, but since you mentioned desiccant . . .<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>If you are
storing them with desiccant, cardboard would negate its effect. Your best
bet would be the plastic storage boxes. Mere plastic bags or sheeting are
not impermeable to moisture and atmospheric gases, but they would buffer
their effects. Archival suppliers such as University Products or Gaylord
have a number of desiccant products. Both are on the web.<br>
One of the most important things is NOT to store the books on the floor.
Raise them up on pieces of plastic-wrapped 2 x 4 lumber to isolate them
from moisture coming through the floor. Try to avoid stacking them near
the ceiling too, as there is where some of the most extreme temperature
changes will be found. If you need further guidelines, go to Conservation
On-line, <br>
Hope this helps - <br>
Anne<br>