Re: Storing Books

I've been reading this list for some time, and usually feel too
inexperienced to answer anything. This one I can speak to.

Three years ago, I retrieved a storage locker full of my belongings which
had been in storage for 12 years in Seattle. Among them were many boxes of
books, which had been packed in plastic garbage bags, the thickest I could
find, inside the sturdiest boxes I could find, which were usually from
liquor stores. I didn't put anything in them to keep them dry, just sealed
them tightly with the bag ties or tape. When I got them out of storage,
they were in great condition. No damp smell, mold, mildew, whatever.
Possibly not a good way to treat valuable antiquarian books, but these
didn't fall into that category. Many paperbacks, many hardcover
books--probably 20 or 30 boxes of them, at the least (I'm also a
biblioholic).

Cara Kendric
Librarian, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA