"Multiplicities" Fiber Artists of Houston Juried Show

Greetings All . . .

I am new to this ListServer and have been thoroughly enjoying my reading
over the past 2 weeks!! I am fairly new to bookarts, only making my
first coptic stitch, open spine blank journal 5 years ago. In 1998 I
received Best of Show for the Texas Federation of Fiber Artists Annual
Juried Show in Galveston, Texas with my Accordion Pop-Up book "Avenues
of Discovery. My recent work is described below  . . . please view the
show if you are in the Houston area -- there are some diverse, lovely
fiber works on display through March 23.

Thanks to everyone on this ListServer for all the wonderful insights
about the book arts.

I created a fun Artist Book which was juried into the Fiber Artists of
Houston Annual Show, "Multiplicities" which opened last Saturday, March
3, at the downtown historical library, Julia Ideson Library, Houston,
Texas.

It is entitled "Right on Red" and is a 9 x 12 x 3" deep, red clamshell
bookcase with 2 handmade books, one accordion and one origami.

The inside of the box is collaged with 3d objects that are RED. . . a
doll with red hair, a pack of Big Red chewing gum, red foil matchbook,
and more. The two books feature words and pictures of RED items

The accordion book contains 8 panels of 176 words and phrases that
relate to RED like like "Little Red Riding Hood, Red Skeleton, Ruby Red
Grapefruit, Red Fox, Red-Breasted Robin, Red-Light District, Black 'n
White and Red All Over, Little Red Schoolhouse, In The Red and more! The
typeface is Novarese, alternating red and black ink, and printed on
white cotton paper with an Epson inkjet printer.

The origami book is in the shape of a Stop Sign, octagonal with 8 flaps
which fold out displaying RED pictures. The illustrations depict Red
Lava Volcano, Red Hot Lips, Red Santa Claus, Red Butterfly, Red Fire
Engine, Red Maple Leaves, Red Heart (anatomical) and a Red Rose. When
completely open, it is about 18" diameter and looks like a giant flower
petal. The pictures are circular in shape and have been rendered
digitally with the PhotoShop mezzotint filter and printed on a Epson
inkjet printer.

Best Regards,
Darla Hartmann
Houston, TX