Patents

Peter Verheyen wrote:
>Excerpted from Dominic Riley's article.
>Another distinguished binder in the audience reflected on her own
>experience of having made a lap-back binding years ago as a solution to
>problem, and wondered how this might have been compromised if it had
been
>done after Philip had taken out his patent.

Patents are as good as your defense attorney, and of course, any idea
that came earlier (with evidence) can't be defended as original by
Philip Smith or anyone else.

If I found the Maril concept useful (I don't), I wouldn't hesitate to
use it to create a work of art. I would fight in court, if necessary,
over the right of any artist to use any technique. The idea of patenting
an art method suitable only to high-craft handwork is curious. Perhaps
if it had an industrial application it would make sense. But every
sliver of maril has to be looked at and fit into the composition.

Remember also that patents are almost impossible to prosecute in
one-of-a-kind personal use situations, as upheld by the Supreme Court
(the same folks that gave you W. via Florida) in the Sony Betamax
decision.

--
 Richard
 http://minsky.com