messages sent with code

I am wondering why, frequently, messages in the
digests I receive look like the following:
(slightly edited to prevent any embarrassment)

> Transitional//EN">
> <HTML><HEAD>
> <META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-1" =
> http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
> <STYLE></STYLE>
> </HEAD>
> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
> <DIV>XXxXX XXXXXX XX XX = composing=20
> their.&nbsp;</DIV>
> <DIV><A =
> href=3D"xxxxx</A></DIV>
> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
> <DIV>XXXXXXXX</DIV></BODY></HTML>

Is it the way I have my preferences set? Or are the senders sending HTML formatted messages when plain text is the better choice?--sometimes these code-laden messages are lengthly!
And hard to read.

If there's some setting I can adjust I'd appreciate clues.
I'm using a Mac G4 with Netscape 4.61

Thanks,

Melissa Slattery