Re: A Sabbatical and A Story (long)

I loved Susan Gaylord's long story about her desires and plans to start a sabbatical and her
struggles to balance her artwork.

I was especially interested because I just started my own sabbatical on March first.  I have spent
the last seven months working about 60-80 hours a week and finally reached the point of extreme
burnout--such bad burnout that at this point I never want to be a graphic designer again! Had only
two weekends off between July and February. I decided to shut down my business and take some time
off. My plan is to spend the next year traveling and making books and art only for me and not for
anyone else.

I have a book suggestion for anyone who dreams of taking a sabbatical either for a short time or and
extended period.  Most of us are most concerned about being financially able to take time off.  There
is a way--and any one can do it. Read the book, "Your Money or Your Life" by Vicki Robin and Joe
Dominguez. It details a nine step plan for achieving financial independence and getting to the place
where maybe you don't have to work for a living anymore.

The followup book, "Getting a Life" by Jacqueline Blix and David Heitmilller is also very inspiring.
It is case studies of people who have done the steps and now have tons of free time for their art or
whatever other passion drives them. Some people think that this is a better book to read first.

I feel so very fortunate to be able to take this time off and count my blessings every day. I want
all of my artist friends to do it too!

Have a good day,

Laura Russell