Books wet with sewage water!

I just had a call from a local B&B asking me what to do about some books
that got wet when the sewer backed up. My only experience has been with
books soaked with rain water and I know how to take care of that but these
books are smelly and I should think will need to be disinfected.

Will freezing the books (there about 8) help to disinfect them?  This just
happened so the books are still wet. I instructed the owner to put paper
towels in between the pages and put the books under weight, changing the
towels as they get wet.

Please respond right away if you can help.

Betty
Betty Storz   storz@mcn.org
Mendocino, CA