HELP!--info on kerning and leading quick, please

I've been all over the internet trying to find a source for learning about
which letters of the alphabet most need manipulating when you are doing page
layout!!  Is there a good source book?  I tried "the Non-Designer's Design
Book, and PhotoShop & Pagemaker manuals and each talks about kerning and
leading but doesn't talk about which letters in particular need special
attention.

I'm responsible for the individual title pages and the first section--title,
copyright, Table of Contents, and Introduction on a collaborative artists
book and am having great difficulaty with this lettering task.

I guess, truth be known, I'm looking for a quick fix, not a semester of
typography at the
community college!

HELP PLEASE!

jlr