PageMaker versus Quark -- who wins?

OK -- I'm in Pagemaker class, and learning -- and happy -- and then I leave
and talk to a friend in the buisness of publishing and she scoffs at
Pagemaker -- laughs outloud! -- and says Pagemaker can't really manage text
at all (not exact words) and says I'm wasting my time and to get Quark and
forget about silly Pagemaker and move on with my life...

So...while i'll continue with the class...when it comes to coughing up the
bucks (and big bucks they), what do you think I should do?

Thanks!

Jim Camp/syanesthesia press