Re: kerning and leading

Do please if you are able try and get some experience of metal type. Actually
handling metal type letters, and metal spaces and leads will give you a real
feel for what you are doing when you are working on the computer.
Yes , I agree with the other respondents that typography is a subtle art.
learnt by practice and eye, but by far the best training ground is
traditional letterpress.

There is still one place left on my summer letterpress workshop if you want
to take some time out to come and play and learn about typography.

Claire Bolton, The Alembic Press, Oxford