Subject: New Design Jobs in Publishing
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 11:06:50 -0800
From: "Thomas LaPointe" <thomas@recruiting-ny.com>
To: <minsky@minsky.com>

Richard,

Below are the two positions I descriibed in my previous email. I don't
actually have the salaries however I know that they are pretty
competitve.
Both positions are at the same company. I appreciate your help -

1) Associate Art Director  - Major International Publisher

art
department. Design jackets and covers. Responsible for scheduling and
administration of reprint and repackaged titles.

Design and art direction:
• Art direct and design interior text
• Traffic text design to staff and freelancers
• Design and repackage covers
• Prepare cover mechanicals
• Assist art staff with design, software, and procedural questions.
• Supply cover art and comps in the appropriate format to marketing,
publicity, audio and subrights depts.

Administrative:
• Duties shared as needed with Art Director
• Oversee schedules and keeps staff aware of text deadlines
• Manage contracts and billing on specific titles
• Knowledge of 4-color pre-press preparation
• Proficiency in Quark, Illustrator, PhotoShop, PowerPoint, and SAP
software
• Knowledge of typography, photography, illustration,
• Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills are
required, as well as the ability to work independently on, and assume
responsibility for, own titles and projects.
• Manage the department in absence of art director

Requirements:
• Degree in Art or Design
• Minimum 8 years experience in children’s book design

Please submit your resume and salary requirements as a word document.

2) Senior Book Designer

Prominent New York Publishing House seeks a Senior Book Designer for its
Children’s and Young Adult Book Department.

Job Summary
Design covers and interior texts of picture books, middle-grade, YA
hardcover and paperback editions for children’s book art department.
Design
covers and interior texts of picture books, middle-grade, YA hardcover
and
paperback editions for children’s book art department.

Job Description
Design and repackage covers
Prepare cover mechanicals
Commission some art
Design interior text
Work closely with editorial, production and marketing
Supply cover art and comps in the appropriate form to marketing,
publicity,
audio and sub-rights depts.
Meet budget and schedule requirements
Work with illustrators and sometimes photographers from concept stage to
finished art
Oversee freelance designers
Communicate and instruct type composition houses and printers
Color correct and check proofs
Make decisions independently
Interpret manuscripts in a visual sense

Requirements
Degree in Art or Design
5 years children’s books experience
Knowledge of manufacturing from pre-press to bound books
Proficiency in Quark, Illustrator, PhotoShop
Knowledge of typography, photography, illustration, computer technology
Knowledge of manufacturing from pre-press to bound books
Proficiency in Quark, Illustrator, Photoshop

Competitive Salary.  Full Health & Dental and 401K from Day #1; three
weeks
paid vacation; summer hours; tuition reimbursement/gym/transit checks

Thomas G. LaPointe
thomas@recruiting-ny.com
212-972-5122
212-972-5170