Re: InDesign vs PageMaker - who wins? (was PM vs Quark)

For what it's worth, I like InDesign as well. While I grew up on PageMaker
(from v 1.0 all the way through the current version) and never really used
Quark, I have been quite pleased with InDesign. It isn't as "intuitive" as
PageMaker, but it does have the following advantages:

(1) it was designed from the ground up with a consistent Adobe user
interface and file support. This is an irrelevant issue if you only use a
page layout program and not Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. However, for those
of us with Adobe-centered graphic suites, it is a VERY major feature.

(2) As Andrew wrote, InDesign gives you simply awesome control of type. It
really is a typographer's pleasure, since the Adobe-style palettes give you
instant, visible access to virtually every parameter you can imagine.

(3) InDesign was intended from the very beginning to be a 'pluggable'
architecture, continuing the wildly successful approach that cemented
Photoshop's market position. Adobe anticipates that InDesign will be
virtually infinitely extensible, both by them and by third parties. This, I
believe, was the primary driver behind creating a completely new
architecture.

On the down side, (a) the initial release of ID was pretty buggy, and needed
to be quickly superseded by a cleaned-up 1.1; (b) the program is still not
as mature or solid as its older competitors; (c) because of the entrenched
position of Quark (and, to an extent, PM) in the service bureau environment,
the output shops are only just starting to take ID files; and (d) because
the program is still relatively new (and *abominably* marketed by Adobe)
there are very few plug-ins or extensions currently available.

So...I currently use ID, am quite happy with it, and keep my fingers crossed
that it builds market traction and third party support.

-David