Re: What's "Fine Press"

Four or five years ago, a group of printers, designers, and booksellers
met to form the Fine Press Book Association. Your question was one we
discussed at great length, and finally decided that historically
printers have always taken advantage of new technologies, and so it made
sense to keep the definition of fine press quite loose! As a result, you
will read articles in our journal Parenthesis that talk about classic
letterpress, linoleum blocks, pochoir, silk screen, photopolymer
techniques, and offset (and probably others I can't recall right now).
Members and contributors to our journal include John Randall of the
Whittington Press, Henry Morris of Bird and Bull, Gerry Lange of the
Bieler Press, Andrew Hoyem of Arion Press, Sandy Kroupa, Robin Price,
and Carolee Campbell of the Ninja Press. A year or so ago the Alliance
for Contemporary Books Arts of Southern California joined us.

So, for at least this group of printers, designers, collectors, and book
lovers, what you're doing would be considered fine press!

Carol Grossman

ps If any of you would like to join our group or get more information
about it, please send me an email.

--
Carol Grossman

Member ABAA, ILAB, RMABA
Specializing in fine press books,
illustrated books, and books about books.

Four Rivers Books, Ltd.
7228 Four Rivers Road
Boulder CO 80301 USA

Phone: 303 530 7567
Fax:   303 530 2251

email: carolg@fourriversbooks.com
web site: www.fourriversbooks.com

With the recent proliferation of internet auction sites and massive data
bases, where the seller's experience & good business
practices are all too often unknown or questionable, it is more
advisable than ever that you work with dealers in whom you
have confidence. We suggest you look for the insignia of the ABAA, the
Antiquarian Booksellers' Association of America,
and/or the ILAB, the International League of Antiquarian  booksellers.
These organizations represent a 50 year old collective
composed of the leading booksellers  worldwide. They require their
member booksellers to have a proven track record of
experience, and to abide by a detailed code of ethics.

To see the best books the world has to offer, please visit our members:

http://www.abaa.org        and/or       http://www.ilab-lila.com