Re: name for type of book

>From: "Crisalli, Karen" <KarenC5071@AOL.COM>
>To: BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
>Subject: name for type of book
>Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 23:54:32 EDT
>
>Hello!
>
>Can anybody tell me the correct name/terminology to describe early books
>for
>which the "boards" were actually made from the compressed used pages of
>other
>  books.  Any input on when/why/how this was?
>
>Thanks! Karen

Hi Karen,
   I believe they are referred to as pasteboards. I think they were in use
in England by c. 1525 and were at first made by pasting cheap paper together
and pressing, then somewhat later, by stacking wetted paper together and
pressing until they adhered by virtue of the sizing
already in the leaves. The paper was sometimes printers' waste, but these
pasteboards were made by the binders. According to Bernard Middleton,
pasteboards were known "several centuries earlier" in the East (presumably
by Islamic binders).
   Cheers!
    Bill Cotter
      The Milou Bindery