Re: name for type of book

Karen,
They're called 'pasteboards'.  _Glaister's Glossary of the Book_ gives
the following definition:

"PASTEBOARDS: sheets of paper, printed or not, pasted together to a
thickness considered suitable for the cover linings of books.  Their
use in England is thought to date from the early 16th century.  In the
18th century pasteboards were gradually superseded by millboards. ...
Boards made of pulped paper shavings were often made into boards by
binders. Although known as pasteboards, pulpboard would have been a
more accurate term."

Jack

>Can anybody tell me the correct name/terminology to describe early books for
>which the "boards" were actually made from the compressed used pages of other
> books.  Any input on when/why/how this was?
>
>Thanks! Karen

Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick
Portland, OR  97217

503/735-3942 (voice/fax)

http://www.teleport.com/~tcl

"The lyfe so short; the craft so long to lerne"
        Chaucer, Parlement of Foules, 1386