Workshop series at Parsons School of Design, New York, NY.

Book arts workshop series being offered by Anna Hepler

Anna Hepler was borh in Boston in 1969, and works intensively in
book-making, sculpture. drawing and printmaking.  After undergraduate study
at Oberlin College, she received her Master of Fine Arts from the
University of Wisconsin-Madison in 1994.  Since finishing graduate work,
she has held appointments as visiting artist/lecturer and instructor at
several institutions, including the Oregon College of Art and Craft in
Portland, Oregon and, most recently, Whitman College in Walla Walla,
Washington.  Anna Hepler has been proprietor of Beo Press since 1989, and
her work can be found in the collections of the National Gallery of Art in
Washington, D.C., the Tate Gallery, and the Library of Congress, as well as
many college and university special collections.

****
please note: the first workshops are not prerequisites to the later ones,
so if, for example, you're just interested in "making sketchbooks  with
unusual materials", you can just take that one class.
****

Binding a Sketchbook - Part Two:  Sewing on Tapes.
April 9th- Monday- 6p.m.-9p.m.
$25 / includes basic materials
'Sewing on Tapes' is a traditional multi-signature stitch allowing you to
create a book of any thickness and dimension. We will explore different
ways to make both hard and soft covers for this binding using coverstock
and book cloth wrapped boards. This binding produces a very traditional and
substantial book. Materials used during this course will include book
cloth, book board, paper, linen thread, cloth tapes and glue.

Binding a Sketchbook - Part Three: Link Stitch incorporating unusual
materials. $25--
April 10th- Tuesday - 6p.m.-9p.m.
$25 / includes basic materials
During this workshop you will create a book incorporating unusual materials
and using a Link stitch for the binding. The Link stitch is a
multi-signature binding with an exposed spine such that the sewing is
revealed. We will explore the use of different materials for covers such as
Plexiglas, fabric, metal, or anything you wish to bring to class. We will
also discuss and explore different materials for the text block (inside) of
the book such as papers, plastics and fabric. The finished book will
function as a sampling of ideas for producing unusual and customized
bindings. Materials used during this course will include book cloth, book
board, paper, linen thread, Plexiglas, plastic etc, etc, etc, and glue.

Containers - Part One:  Paper Portfolios.
April 30th- Monday - 6p.m.-9p.m.
$25 / includes basic materials
In this workshop we will make three folded portfolio structures from both
paper, thin board,  and book cloth. These simple portfolio structures can
be modified to create elegant presentation cases for printed materials.
Materials will include cover stock, paper, thin board, book cloth, and glue.

Containers - Part Two and Three: Cloth Covered Drop-Spine Box.
May 1st and 2nd- Tues./Wed. -  6 p.m.-9p.m.
$50 / includes basic materials
The Drop Spine Box, also known as a Clamshell Box, is the museum
conservators  favorite container for preserving delicate and precious books
or works on paper. It also functions as a durable and beautiful
presentation case. During this two part workshop we will make a drop-spine
box constructed with book board, book cloth and paper.  We will also
discuss how the basic design can be customized for a specific function, or
to house a specific object.  Materials will include cover stock, board,
book cloth, and glue.

To register: Contact Marissa Corwin <corwinma@earthlink.net> 718-706-6650.

Classes will be held at: Parsons School of Design- 2 West 13th St-10th
floor Textile Studio

For payment, bring money, in cash, to the first class.  Thanks again for
your help!

Sign up is on a first come, first serve basis, so anyone interested in
attending should register to hold his or her place.