Date:    Wed, 28 Mar 2001 12:41:10 -0700
From:    Carol Grossman <carolg@FOURRIVERSBOOKS.COM>
Subject: Re: What's "Fine Press"

Four or five years ago, a group of printers, designers, and booksellers
met to form the Fine Press Book Association. Your question was one we
discussed at great length, and finally decided that historically
printers have always taken advantage of new technologies, and so it made
sense to keep the definition of fine press quite loose! As a result, you
will read articles in our journal Parenthesis that talk about classic
letterpress, linoleum blocks, pochoir, silk screen, photopolymer
techniques, and offset (and probably others I can't recall right now).
Members and contributors to our journal include John Randall of the
Whittington Press, Henry Morris of Bird and Bull, Gerry Lange of the
Bieler Press, Andrew Hoyem of Arion Press, Sandy Kroupa, Robin Price,
and Carolee Campbell of the Ninja Press. A year or so ago the Alliance
for Contemporary Books Arts of Southern California joined us.

So, for at least this group of printers, designers, collectors, and book
lovers, what you're doing would be considered fine press!

Carol Grossman

ps If any of you would like to join our group or get more information
about it, please send me an email.