Re: Hollander Beater

on 4/4/01 2:51 PM, Susan Patt at spatt@LASIERRA.EDU wrote:

> Can anyone give sources for Hollander Beaters?  Thanks for your help,
>

> Susan Patt
> La Sierra University Art Department
> Riverside CA
>
> Susan Patt, Chair                       Director
> Art Department                          Brandstater Gallery
> La Sierra University
> Riverside CA, 92515                     http://www.lasierra.edu/art
> 909-785-2171

> UNSUB Book_Arts-L
> ALL COMMANDS GO TO:
> LISTSERV@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
> Susan,

After searching for used beaters for about two years,  finally building one
that does work I finally bought a David Riena beater from Carriage House.
As I write it is beating away.  The only two places that make commercially,
well,  three places that make beaters are David Reina Designs, Lee Scott
McDonald and Valley Beaters.  They are all fairly expensive or at least to a
retired teacher they are expensive.  The one I have cost $7000.00 for the
beater, some extras and shipping to Idaho from New York.  I have seen the
Lee Scott Beaters and the Valley beaters and find the David Reina to be much
better in several ways.   The Reina beater is very portable. I can  load it
on a trailer and take it with me to classes I give on  papermaking.  It is
also very well made.  All stainless steel and  brass.   It does a beautiful
job of beating.   I made paper for about 10 years or thought I was making
paper until I got the David Reina beater.

You might be able  to locate a used beater from  a paper mill.  I  tried
that and for two years got no  response from  any paper mill in the
northwest.  I do have a friend that works at a  paper  mill in Canada who
salvages beaters from the mill he works at. They are Valley Beaters.   The
Valley beater is very heavy and not very portable.   They also have a
movable bed plate which seems  to be  kind  of awkward but evidently they
work.   You might contact Greg at gasabo@telus.net.  Tell  him Tom  from
Idaho sent you. Most generally the beaters he  has run in the neighborhood
of about $3000.00  pluse shipping and duty fees but that is Canadian  money
which is about half of the  US. dollar, I think or maybe  it is the other
way around.

After many months of searching for a beater someone  on the internet said "
everyone is  looking for a beater."   The best but most  expensive is the
commerically made beater from either David Riena or Lee Scott McDonald.

Addresses for the the David and  Lee beaters are:

David Reina, 79 Guernsey St, Brooklyn NY  11222  Phone  718  599-1237

Lee S. Mc Donald, Box 264, Charlestown, MA  02129  1  888-627-2737

Hope this has been some help.  If you have any questions please feel free to
email

Tom