Re: Kutrimmer Accuracy

In a message dated 4/9/01 10:00:44 AM, kevinthomas33@HOTMAIL.COM writes:

<< Any hints for getting perfectly square cuts on my Kutrimmer? Mine seems to
cut so that the cut is about 1 mm off from top to bottom of the board.
What's going on?

Is my blade off-square or is my cutting guide off? Is there any kind of
better cutting guide I can create?

I have only seen a few Kutrimmers and have not worked on one (*see note at
end*). However, if you look very closely at the bottom fence (the fence that
runs left to right along the operator edge, at 90 degrees(?) to the blade) it
should be adjustable in some way. To determine if it is out of square, cut
all four corners of a cardstock or thin board in a clockwise rotation using
the bottom fence as the guide. Then examine the fifth corner (the original
first corner) for squareness.
The bolts that secure the bottom fence should be loosened slightly and the
fence should be able to be knocked into perfect alignment (squareness). After
retightening the bolts, check the squareness again. Adjust as necessary. You
may have to add a "C" (or as some say "G") clamp for a better hold.
If that does not work, the holes for the fence may need to be enlarged to
allow some movement. Or, a different bolting system. Or, maybe a new fence is
needed.
Another option is to contact the manufacturer or supplier for additional
information or suggestion.

* As I have mentioned in other messages, the Kutrimmer -- in my opinion -- is
really not designed for cutting binder board or other thick/dense materials.
It is simply too much of a "Lightweight" for binder board.
It is also possible that the left fence is not stopping the material while a
cut is being made. In other words, the material is slipping or sliding during
the cut, thus the unsquareness. You should always use the clamp and a left
fence for the most accurate cuts.

Good Luck.

Bill Minter

4364 Woodbury Pike