Re: Bleach

So the question is also one of "do we want our work to last and in what
condition?";
who of us can accurately predict what the future, even tomorrow, will find of
interest and value?
For myself, I simply don't believe in doing throwaways, and because I spend
much of my working life in attempts to slow and ameliorate the effects of
aging, environment, etc., on works of "art", I've a vested interest in trying
to get artists to be a bit more careful in their choice of materials and
methods. As do the admirers and purchasers of those artists' works. This is
an admittedly "old fogey" point of view.
Fifteen years, even fifty, is not a very long time in the life of most
"things". There is an interesting piece in the NYTimes on attempts to deal
with the novel conservation problems posed by much postwar art:
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/05/arts/05REST.html?searchpv=site06
which though brief, at least gives a hint of what's involved.
As Chris Clarkson, one my personal "gods" of twentieth century bookbinding
and conservation, has pointed out often, there is far too little connection
between most modern bookmaking and conservation. To my mind, this is a
detriment to both fields.
I believe that those of us who work in the book arts have a very real
responsibility to ourselves and others to do our work in the very best way we
know, if only to spare some future overworked conservator (it COULD be me in
ten years) the problems of degradation we sometimes build into our work. Best
James

James Tapley Hand Bookbinder
2077 Thirteenth Street
Sarasota, Florida