Re: Not Bleach, but ...

I've been following the bleach discussion hoping someone
might mention the "burn-out" effect caused by iron gall(?)
inks over time.

I have a page from a Koran, probably 18th or 19th c.,
manuscript not printed, in which some of the letters
have simply vanished, taking the paper with them!

The effect is one of a cut-out design. I was wondering
if anyone had done this deliberately for artistic effect.

There's a product called Fiber-Etch used by fiber artists
to "burn out" areas of fabric, it only eats cellulose.
Has anyone used this on paper?

--

Susan Fatemi,
susanf@peer.berkeley.edu