Re: embossing powder

Dear Austin,

    I don't remember the post about the power, but I have used it on some
simple craft projects in conjunction with rubber stamps. The powder is a
thermoplastic material that expands when it is heated. One needs to apply
it to some kind of wet surface. I have used both ink and the pigmented
stamping pads to provide the wet surface. I think there is some kind of
fluid that can also be bought to use with the powder, but I am not sure of
that. The powder is sprinkled over the wet areas and fixed by heat. There
is a heat gun that looks a little like a funky hair dryer that one can buy
in a crafts store just for this purpose. I have also heard that people use
toaster ovens to heat the powder, although it is not a good idea to use
anything like that if you use the item for food.

    For the few times I have used the embossing powder for very small
areas, I have used my iron, without the steam, placed it below the paper on
which I did the embossing bit, and waited until the powder melted .It is
not necessary to actually touch the paper to the heating surface. I don't
know what you envision in terms of using the embossing powder, and I don't
have any idea about how archival it is. Maybe someone else in the group
will have better information.

Good luck with it,

Joan