  Date:    Mon, 16 Apr 2001 12:31:45 EDT
  From:    Stacey Kirby <Pennies298@AOL.COM>
  Subject: Re: Activities in NC?

  I am a book artist native to NC (Raleigh) and will be moving back in
September. At the moment, I am working at the Women's Studio Workshop in
Rosendale, NY - the largest publisher of artist books in the country. I am
eager to connect with other book artists in NC as well but I do not know of
much book arts activity in the Raleigh-Durham area. Although the Penland
School of Arts and Crafts in the mountains of NC does offer book arts
classes. They have a great website you can look up too.
  Besides Penland, there are not book arts/letterpress classes offered to my
knowledge. I did graduate with a BA from UNC-Chapel Hill and they do have
letterpress facilities (a vandercook proofing press and type) that the we
used in printmaking classes. But there are no specific classes for book arts
and letterpress.
   However, I would be very interested in finding other people with similar
interests and would love to teach classes and take classes in book arts in
NC as I am doing in NY now. I feel that there is a large market for classes
at least at the community art level if not at the university level.
  Please email me if you are successful at finding any more book arts
activities in that area!
  Good Luck!
  Stacey Kirby