Double Fold / note on polysulfiding

Mr. Baker is a novelist.  I strongly caution anyone who reads his book to =
carefully review and evaluate what is said.  You are absolutely right, =
Pam.  It's supposed to be library science, not library fiction.

PS: please note that in my over-long message the other day I mentioned =
polysulfiding in connection with older reels of film.  I should have said =
"older reels of polyester-based film."  For older acetate reels that have =
not yet deteriorated, polysulfiding would only arrest the redox process.  =
I do not want to create the impression that polysulfiding will arrest or =
prevent acetate deterioration.  It will not do that.  It would only arrest =
the redox growth.

A preservation strategy for acetate film would be: (1) use acid detection =
strips (e.g. "A-D strips" available from IPI) to identify how far along =
the road to "vinegar syndrome" deterioration the film has gotten; (2) for =
reels that are in danger, duplicate immediately onto polyester; (3) for =
reels that are not in immediate danger, put into cool or cold storage and =
duplicate as soon as possible.

Polysulfiding can be used to arrest redox growth on older polyester-based =
reels that have redox blemishes either because of poor processing or =
because they have been kept in poor storage.  When duplicated, the =
blemishes will appear as tiny clear dots on the copied reel.

However, I think Baker has (again, very conveniently) left a more =
important application of polysulfiding out of the picture.  Newly created =
polyester-based microfilm reels that may not be kept in proper storage =
conditions after processing can be polysulfided as a protection against =
what Baker somewhat inaccurately describes in his "American Newspaper =
Repository" website as "silver halide blemishing."  I have never actually =
seen the term "silver halide blemishing" anywhere other than in this =
website.  This is apparently propaganda intended to further discredit =
microfilm.  Baker also points out that polyester-based film is "vulnerable =
to fungal attack." He leaves out the fact that all improperly stored paper =
or film-based materials are subject to fungal attack.  Yet another =
Bakerian skewing of the facts.

I am sorry to be taking up so much of the Book Arts people's time with =
this.  Thank you for your patience and attention.

- Walter Cybulski

>>> bkworm@IX.NETCOM.COM 04/19/01 11:27PM >>>
I think Baker is pretty clueless about library science and I hope this =
book
is not taken too seriously.

pam in dallas  (MLS from TWU)

> > ----------
> >   So how many other members of the list are reading/have read Double
> > Fold??  I am only as far as page 43 but already sad that an intelligent=

> > man and cogent writer like Nicholson Baker has focused his argument =
well
> > past the urgent limitations facing libraries to hit the people most
> > likely to have been his allies.  Undoubledly bad decisions have been
> > made, and are still being made about preservation selection and =
methods,
> > but he offers no reasonable scope to the debate, at least this far =
into
> > his book.  For those of you beyond page 43, does it get better or =
worse?
> >  Dorothy Africa
> >
> You can read the comments of Dean Allen at http://www.textism.com/=20
>
> He posted original comments and then a response to a response from a
> librarian -- scroll down to see it.
> He was also, apparently, unimpressed by the arguments.

                            UNSUB Book_Arts-L
                           ALL COMMANDS GO TO:
                        LISTSERV@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU=20