Re: Beowulf Exhibit

ANNOUNCING: AN INTERDISCIPLINARY (Wall Works, Artist's
Books) EXHIBIT BY BERTHA ROGERS, AUTHOR OF THE NEW
ILLUSTRATED TRANSLATION
OF =93BEOWULF=94 (BIRCH BROOK PRESS, 2000)
at the 96th Street Regional Branch of the New York Public Library
112 East 96th Street, New York, NY 10128

May 3 - 31, 2001
OPENING RECEPTION AND READING BY THE
ARTIST/TRANSLATOR
THURSDAY, MAY 3, 6:30 P.M.  FREE AND OPEN TO THE PUBLIC.

Hours of the exhibit:
Monday, Thursday, 12 -8 p.m.
Tuesday, Wednesday, 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Friday, 12- 6 p.m.; Saturday 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.

"Thanks to you (and no doubt to the old bard or bards) I see what a
powerful and splendid poem 'Beowulf' is.  When I came to those sea
beasts sunning themselves on the ledges I gasped  with wonder!  Your
verse treads a nice line between the strict old  measure and something
looser. . . Congratulations!"
    =97James  Merrill
Word-exalted, she (Rogers) has found=97or when necessary,
invented=97the vocabulary to universalize and make contemporary a
venerable text while nevertheless retaining the flavor and the magic of
the original: in her translation, she has consistently woven new words in
wonderful ways.=94
                                        =97Gary Harrington, forthcoming in Chelsea