Carol Blinn to lecture at Wells College

the Susan Garretson Swartzburg =B960
Memorial Book Arts Series
presents

O N E   W O M A N ' S   W O R K

a lecture by the internationally renowned typographic designer
Carol J. Blinn, May 2-3, 2001 on the Wells College Campus

(AURORA, NY) Proprietor of the Warwick Press in Easthampton, Massachusetts
since 1973, Carol J. Blinn will discuss her life=B9s work as a typographic
designer, book artist, commercial letterpress printer, paper decorator, han=
bookbinder, and private press publisher during an exclusive engagement at
Wells College on May 2, 2001 at 8:00 p.m. in Cleveland Hall Auditorium. Thi=
lecture, "One Woman=B9s Work," is part of the Susan Garretson Swartzburg =B960
Memorial Book Arts Series. A reception in Morgan Hall will follow Ms.
Blinn=B9s talk. Both events are free and open to the public.

On the following day, May 3, the Book Arts Center will host a workshop
entitled, "How to Stencil a Duck & Other Good Things." The workshop, led by
Ms. Blinn, will be held from 10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., and it will be held at
the Wells College Book Arts Center, Morgan Hall in Aurora, NY. The workshop
is limited to 8 participants. Advance registration and payment are required=
.
The cost is $50 for all members of the general public and $30 for Wells
students. An exhibit displaying the range of the Warwick press will be
located in the Wells Book Arts Center and open to the public until mid-May.
A modest checklist will accompany the exhibit.

Ms. Blinn studied art at Clark University, the Worcester Art Museum School,
and at the Hartford Art School. Ms. Blinn went on to work in a small print
shop, where she gained valuable experience as an offset camera operator,
printer, and designer. During this time, she also collected equipment, held
multiple jobs, and faced exhaustion. Blinn went on to build her own the
highly regarded Warwick Press, which she started while apprenticing with th=
late master-printer Harold McGrath at Leonard Baskin's renowned Gehenna
Press in Northampton, Massachusetts.

"When I think of my work, it is with confusion, hope, frustration, pleasure
and joy." My life is filled with all the =8Cstuff,=B9 as I imagine are your
lives. What can set me apart is my ability to show myself in a public way b=
being in print." (Excerpt from a Lecture by Ms. Blinn, delivered to the
Honorable Company of Printers, Annual Wayzgooze, Yale University).  Ms.
Blinn=B9s talk at Wells will focus on the distinction between life and work,
the fears and joys of self-employment, and the distinctions between public
and private matters.

The tradition of high standards in printing and design Victor Hammer
established at Wells over 60 years ago has made a poignant and profound
impact on the Wells community. With the aid of the endowed Susan Garretson
Swartzburg =B960 Memorial Book Arts Series, we continue to showcase book
workers who's work maintains high standards and who's talents inspire and
inform us. We are proud to host Ms. Carol Blinn and the work of her Warwick
Press.=20

For more information on the Susan Garretson Swartzburg =B960 Memorial Book
Arts Series,  Carol Blinn's  lecture, stencilling workshop or exhibit,
please contact Terrence Chouinard, Victor Hammer Fellow at 315-364-3420 or
tchouinard@wells.edu.

-30-