Re: Bone folders

--- On Wed, 25 Apr 2001 Raymond Starr <rstarr@UMBC.EDU> wrote:
At PBI a couple of years ago they had a workshop on making bone
folders from teflon.  Many of the resulting products were impressive
--- end of quote ---

At last year's PBI in Oxbow, Michigan, we made a whole bunch of bone folders out
of deer and elk leg bones under the instruction of Jim Croft.  Jim is an amazing
teacher, so if you have the chance to take a workshop with him, by all means do
so.  The results were amazing, especially after polishing them with a fine steel
wool.  Some were almost translucent.  We let each piece of bone speak for itself
on how it wanted to be shaped, but also made some of the most useful tools, with
special curves or flat areas to do just what we wanted them to do.

As for the bone folders you can buy from the usual suppliers, I believe they are
cow.  Real bone is much superior to plastic, but in some cases, teflon is the
way to go because of its slickness.  Just be careful when shaping your own
teflon folder since the dust particles are carcinogenic.

Now, does anyone have a bone to pick with my answer? ;-)

Eric

 Eric Alstrom       Hanover, NH
 Book: Artist | Binder | Conservator
 bookbinder@dartmouth.edu