Re: Help with Newspaper

Jacqueline,
If the newspaper is treated with a non-aqueous deacidification spray,
such as Wei T'o, the rate of yellowing will be slowed down.  Keeping
it away from light will help even more.

If the newspaper is new, treatment will make it last longer; if it is
an older newspaper there is less benefit.  If it is to be framed and
hung on the wall (or if it has already been on the wall) have a color
photocopy made and frame/hang that and put the original away in dark
storage.

Hope this short note helps.  It is not a simple question with an
obvious answer suitable for all occasions.

Jack

>Is there a way to varnish or treat newspaper so that it does not turn yellow.
> My boss asked me this question today and I told hime I would try to find an
>answer. I appreciate any help anyone can give me.
>Thanks,
>Jacqueline

Jack C. Thompson
Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick
Portland, OR  97217

503/735-3942 (voice/fax)

http://www.teleport.com/~tcl

"The lyfe so short; the craft so long to lerne"
        Chaucer, Parlement of Foules, 1386