Re: BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 29 May 2001 to 30 May 2001 (#2001-144)

Artemis asked for ideas for fun bindings for her library's project.

I've been helping many people make books for a loved one's birthday. They
pick a size for the page (8.5 x 11, or half of that to be simple). Send out
pages with instructions not to use 1.5 inches on the left side or the top
side. When the pages come back we punch holes--usually 2, make simple
decorative covers, one for the front, one for the back and do a very simple
modification of the stab binding stich using pretty raffia or organdy ribbon.
Sometimes we add a different paper for the spine, sometimes not. That way
many different people can work on the pages in different places. People have
found wonderful things to do with their page. Often they attach envelopes and
put things in the envelopes. The books are very personal and quite wonderful
to receive and to work on.

Alice
Paper Pleasures
270 Columbine Street