Re: Help with Newspaper

In a message dated 5/31/01 9:47:58 PM, JaciSull@AOL.COM writes:

<< Is there a way to varnish or treat newspaper so that it does not turn
yellow.
 My boss asked me this question today and I told hime I would try to find an
answer. I appreciate any help anyone can give me. >>

Deacidification (as suggested by Jack Thompson) and then encapsulation in
polyester film will help reduce the yellowing. Unfortunately, Lignin is
present in newspaper (groundwood paper) and it is unstable. Exposure to light
and air causes the lignin to darken.
Again, deacidification and encapsulation will help, but it may still yellow
in some situations.
Bill Minter

4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA   16695