Re: Custom-Woven Bookcloth

In a message dated 6/3/01 3:44:54 PM, tupper@PEDA.COM writes:

<< I'm looking for a source of custom-woven (jacquard) bookcloth in
small quantities. Has anyone come across a company with experience in
this area? >>

Jeff,
Library Binding Service in Des Moines, Iowa is a possibility. Call
800-247-5323.

Depending on the quantity and the type of bookcloth that you are looking for,
you could try making your own. For many years, I have been sizing cotton
muslin with a mixture of wheat starch paste, methylcellulose, and acrylic
artists paints. Obviously, any color is readily made, and you can control the
smoothness (polish) of the finished cloth.
Another possibilty, especially for a cloth that is similar to 19th century
publishers embossed bookcloth:  laminate the cloth with a thin Japanese paper
and color it with acrylics. After the acrylics have dried, the surface can be
resized with methylcellulose. When the outer surface has dried a little, the
surface can be embossed with an appropriate grain. I have used a coarse mesh
screen (heavier that window screen). By embossing in one direction and then
rotating the screen 45 degrees, a wonderful pattern is developed. It is
perfect for mending or covering some older books.
Other Grains --- I am still looking for sources of different types of
graining materials (without having to make custom photoengraved plates from
an image)  -- ANY IDEAS?????

Good Luck,
Bill Minter

4364 Woodbury Pike