Re: Custom-Woven Bookcloth

Jeff, I am really intrigued by your mention of sizing muslin.  Could you
share a little more detail or direct me to a book with instructions?  Is it
equal parts wheat paste and methylcellulose with enough acrylic paint to
color it?  This sounds like something you would use to make paste paper.
How do you apply it to the cloth?  Do you then hang it to dry?

For laminating Japanese tissue to fabric to make my own book cloth, I have
had the best results with a dry method.  I lay a piece of tissue on a sheet
of glass.  Actually, I've been using a Chinese calligraphy paper that
someone suggested on this list a few years ago.  I spread PVA on it with a
spreader that is made for house painting, a yellow plastic thing with a
handle and replaceable pad.  When it is dry I remove it from the glass, lay
the fabric on top of it, and iron it.  The PVA activates with the heat and
bonds the fabric without getting any of those irritating and unremovable wet
spots.

That works well, but it sounds like you can get some different effects with
your sizing method.
Makes me want to go home from work and play!  There sure are some nifty
tidbits that come across on this list!

Joyce Jenkins,
Petersburg, Alaska