Re: bookcloth

Good morning - in classes that I took with Hubert Leurs we made our own book
cloth, I was using a ligt wieght pale green silk and it worked beatifully -
here are the notes that I took:
May 7/1996
Fabric for Book Binding - * DESIGN is important, the pattern must not
overwhelm the book. Linen, Silk, Cotton and the blends, almost anything will
work. Make sure you have enough fabric to cover the book, it's a good idea
to iron the material before you start and watch that the grain is working
with the book. Cut or have ready a piece of "backing-paper" About 1- 2
inches larger than your fabric on all sides. Dampen the paper with a sponge,
then apply glue * (from the hub of the wheel out to the spokes) lightly, you
want an even coat - no lumps that will bleed through, work quickly. Pick up
your fabric, right-side up, by the two diagonal corners - and drop it
carefully on the glue surface, there should be a border of 1-2 inches all
around the edge. using the palms FLAT of your hands lightly smooth over the
surface, then pick up the [two pieces] again by the diagonal corners - flip
it over gently and lay it quickly on the board - now you smooth the whole
thing out getting rid of air bubbles and making sure that the border is
sealed. ..... some time later (1 1/2 hours) you may remove the fabric paper
creation; peel back one corner till you can get a bone folder underneath,
then slide the folder around the edges freeing the "fabric". VOILA !!
{Kay was working with a light gray linen - to be used on a photograph album
that had a dark green leather spine and corners, very handsome.}

v.alice hughes
Argosy Books in Ottawa