Re: Embossing cloth and leather

Bill,

Your description of how you emboss your cloth is similar to our work
embossing leather.  We have an ongoing commission to restore old C19th
and early C20th carriage clock boxes, or cover newly made carriage clock
boxes, for our customer, who insists on authenticity in every way,
including the grain on the leather.  So, starting with leather skins not
greater than 0.4 millimetres thick, in varying colours, we then set
about putting a grain on them, or over-embossing an already-present
grain.

We searched high and low for something with a grainy pattern on it.
Short of having metal plates engraved for us at no small expense, we
turned to the coarser mesh, a sort of shade-cloth screening material,
which you mentioned, and also new aluminium fly screen wire.   They
create a reasonably authentic-looking early C20th embossing, and
consequently, our customer's carriage clocks, in their little boxes,
with the little glass window, and carrying strap, look beautiful.

Peter Krantz.
Book Restorations.
Sydney,
Australia.