Re: Art or Design

Michael Brady wrote:
> http://www.unc.edu/~jbrady/Essays/Art_Design.html

A good essay to continue from.

"The difference between art and design is in the way we look at them."

"But if she is moved by the Last Judgment because of the profound theological
truth it expresses, she is responding to the Pope's purpose. That is, she treats
it as information design, as an illustration of doctrine."

That's an interesting way to look at it. If I understand this correctly, it says
that the object is not art or design, but our perception of it determines that
quality. That goes back to "Art is in the eye of the beholder." This shifts it
from the intent of the artist to the response of the viewer. That contradicts
some of the other criteria in the essay re "Purpose" and "How they are made."

But that may be the point, which is why I'd like to see what the book artists on
this list have to say about their work and what the
curators/collectors/librarians have to say about it.

"Schnabel's broken plates."

To me Schnabel's work is  designed to look like art. In particular, it is
designed to look like the congregations of Alfonso Ossorio, but lacks the
metaphoric impact. That makes it closer to what I call "decorative art."

--
 Richard
 http://minsky.com