An opportunity

I received this by email and thought it might be of interest to
others on the book list.
Regard
Miriam Schaer

--------
Dear Artist,

I would like to invite you to submit images of your work for possible
inclusion in the gallery of a Lark Books full-color, hardback book by
Gwen Diehn, tentatively titled The Decorated Page. It will be
published in the Fall of 2002.

The book will help a journaler or crafter combine visual and written
elements in their books and journals. The book will also have a
gallery section to showcase the work of contemporary artists (such as
yourself) who work with book and journal-making.

The Decorated Page will focus on several different elements that can
make up a page in a book: the use of layers, borders, cut-aways,
textures, vignettes, shaped words, illumination, collage, grids, and
maps and charts. We would like some of the work in the gallery to
show outstanding examples of these elements being used in books, but
we would also like to open our reader's eyes to techniques and ideas
that we just don't have room to present in the book.

Artists whose work appears in the book will be fully credited,
receive a complimentary copy of the book, reach readers throughout
the U.S., Canada, the UK, and Australia, and earn the genuine
gratitude of all of us at Lark who are working to make a beautiful
book!

Please find enclosed an artists agreement and submission guidelines.
Return them with your images (full-color slides or transparencies), a
short artist's biography, and any information you would like to share
about your experiences working with books and journals. Images should
be postmarked by August 1, 2001.

If you know other artists whose work fits our request, I hope you
will consider giving them a copy of this letter and the entry forms,
or direct them to contact me.

Thank you for your time. We sincerely hope you choose to participate
in the book. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to
contact me.

I look forward to seeing your work,

Rain Newcomb
Editorial Assistant
rain@larkbooks.com

Submission Guidelines
* Entries must be postmarked no later than August 1, 2001.
* All visuals must be of work that is original in design. Recent work
is preferred.
* Each visual must be clearly labeled (please see the Gallery Entry
Form & Artist's Agreement for details).
* Each visual must be accompanied by a signed copy of the Gallery
Entry Form & Artist's Agreement.
* All visuals must be of pages bound in a book.
* Entries must accompanied by a self-addressed, stamped envelope
(SASE) for returns.

Image Specs
* Submit only the highest-quality color transparencies (the larger,
the better) or 35 mm slides. Originals (or "masters") are always
preferable, but duplicates are acceptable. (Note that we will be
keeping selected visuals for several months.)
* Do not send snapshots, instant prints, over- or under-exposed
visuals, or color-print negatives. We cannot accept them.
* Do not crop visuals with tape or scissors.
* All visuals must be clean, sharp images with good contrast. Avoid
sending visuals shot at awkward angles or with harsh shadows.
* Clear, simple backgrounds are always preferable to ones that are
distracting or confusing.

GALLERY ENTRY FORM & ARTIST'S AGREEMENT
The Decorated Page, edited by Joanne O'Sullivan

Read the Guidelines first. Complete one copy of this form for each
visual you submit. Clearly mark each submitted visual with your name
and a number (1, 2, or 3; use 1a, 2a, 3a for any detail shots), and
mark the corresponding entry with the same number(s). Also mark the
visual "top" and "front" so that we won't print it upside down or
flopped. Please submit three entries only (you may include one detail
for each if you wish). On the form below, please type or write
clearly, and distinguish uppercase from lowercase letters. Entries
must be postmarked by August 1, 2001.

Your code # on visual (1, 2,3, etc.):

Your name as you wish it to appear:

Business name (if any):

Complete mailing address:

Daytime telephone number:

Fax number:

E-mail address:

Website address:

Title of piece:

Year executed:

Dimensions (height x width x depth,
in that order); indicate inches or centimeters:

Description of techniques used:

Photographer you wish to credit:

Type of visual:

If  the visual is a dupe, could you send us an original on request?

Artist's Comment (light or serious) about your work, yourself, the
design, your inspiration, technique, etc.); no artist's statements,
please.

Artist's Agreement
I hereby grant permission to Lark Books to reproduce any visuals that
I have submitted for the book tentatively titled, The Decorated Page,
scheduled for release in Fall 2002.
This agreement gives Lark Books the right to publish my submitted
work in all editions (and all languages) of this book, and to use my
submitted work for promotion and publicity purposes. These
reproduction rights are non-exclusive; I retain ownership of
submitted images and have the right to reproduce them elsewhere. I
agree, however, not to have any of my submitted images reproduced in
any other book until six months after the publication of this book.
I represent and warrant that I am the owner, or authorized representative
of the owner, of the rights granted herein, and that publication of the
materials submitted will not infringe upon any other copyright.

Full Name (please print)

Signature                                               Date

Mail entries with an SASE, no later than August 1, 2001, to: The
Decorated Page, ATTN: Rain Newcomb, Lark Books, 50 College St.,
Asheville, NC 28801