red rot

I have a pulpit Bible, made around the turn of the century with hinges full
of red rot. One board is off and the other is 1/2 off. I have no problem with
the repair, as far as putting it back together and reinforcing the rotted
spine, but I'm looking for ideas/products/methods for restabilizing red rot.
It will no longer be "structural", but I need it to not turn to powder when
it is handled.
Any ideas?
Thanks,

Bruce Graham