Re: water stone

> Sorry to be dim, but could someone explain what
> a water stone is? At first I thought it was a
> whetstone, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

A waterstone is a whetstone, that is a stone used to sharpen knives,  but
one that uses water instead of oil for the lubricant.

Waterstones have several advantages over oil stones:

1. They cut much faster. But because the waterstones are softer, they wear
quicker than oilstones and occasionally have to be flattened.

2. You have water, not oil, on your fingers, so there is less chance of
accidentally marking your work.

Waterstones have pretty much taken over from oilstones in woodworking....

Chris