ACA Artist Book Auction at Odyssey 2001

Hello Everyone,
Once again I come out of the lurking mode to present you something
exciting. The Association for the Calligraphic Arts will be hosting an
artist book auction as part of an evening event at Odyssey 2001, the
21st international calligraphic conference. All the details are listed
below in this call for submissions. Please note that artists will
receive 50% of the winning bid. We felt it was very important to honor
the artist for their generosity. If you wish to participate, please
e-mail me with your intentions. I will need the completed form, but if
you can e-mail with your intentions that tell me at least the type of
book you plan to submit that will help me prepare the promotional info.
I welcome questions, comments and concerns!
Best to you,
Anne Binder
Exec Director
ACA
WHY: Fundraiser for the Foundation for the Calligraphic Arts (FCA)
Scholarship Programs, Educational Programs, and Exhibitions. The FCA is
complementary organization to the Association for the Calligraphic Arts
(ACA). (The FCA is a non-profit, charitable organization under IRS
regulations in the USA, and donations to the FCA are tax deductible in
the
US.)

Both the FCA and the ACA invite you to participate in the first annual
"Artists' Book Auction" at Odyssey. This will be both a Silent Auction
and
Live Auction at our ACA-sponsored Thursday evening social. It will make
an
exciting conference event for participants, faculty, and visitors who
will be
invited to bid on all kinds of handmade books. What kind of books?
Calligraphic books, artists' books, pop-ups, blank journals, structural
books, prototypes, one-of-a-kind painted and stamped books, limited
edition,
hand-marbled, leather-bound, etc. We are also encouraging collaborative
efforts among artists! We know there will be surprises in store for all
who
attend this gala event!

WHO BENEFITS?
This auction differs from other art auctions in which artists are
expected to
donate their work. Participating artists will receive 50% of the winning
bid.
A donation from auction proceeds will be made to the conference sponsor,

Masscribes, for the guild's scholarship programs. The remaining proceeds
will
go to the Foundation for the Calligraphic Arts, the non-profit,
complementary
organization to the ACA for the purposes of future scholarships,
educational
programs and exhibition opportunities. Although artists are not being
asked
to donate their items, they may also opt to give their proceeds to the
cause.

HOW DOES IT WORK?
Anyone can participate, whether or not you will be attending the Odyssey

conference in Boston. We will display as many books as possible during
conference week to encourage participation in the bidding. Artists are
asked
to specify a minimum bid; typically 30% of the book's retail value. No
work
will be auctioned for less than its minimum bid; works that do not
receive
any bids will be returned to the artist at the artist's expense, if
applicable. You need not be a member of the ACA to participate. You may
submit as many books as you choose, although the FCA does reserve the
right
to limit quantities from any single participant if necessary for space
considerations.

HOW TO ENTER:
Return the attached form by JULY 1, 2001

DELIVERY:
1) Mail your book(s) TO BE RECEIVED BY JULY 10, 2001 to the ACA at the
address below (it is suggested that artists ship their works via
traceable
and/or insured carriers), OR
2) Bring your book(s) to the Odyssey conference. DELIVER the work to the
ACA
table in the dining hall by 6PM on MONDAY JULY 30, 2001.

AUCTION PARTICIPATION FORM
Name___________________________________________
Address_________________________________________
City_____________ State/Province__________________
Country_____________ Postal Code ________________
Phone daytime____________ evening________________
E-mail___________________________________________
Title of Artwork____________________________________
Dimensions of Artwork______________________________
Description/materials/comments________________________________________________

Value of Book (in US$)______
Your Minimum Bid (in US$) _____________________________________
I am: 2001 Conference Participant ____ Faculty_____ Other______
I will not be attending Odyssey, but I would like to submit a book _____

I cannot send a book, but here is a donation to Foundation for the
Calligraphic Arts (Donations are tax-deductible in the USA) $__________

PLEASE MAIL OR FAX THIS FORM BY JULY 1, 2001 TO:

MAIL BOOK(S) TO BE RECEIVED BY JULY 10, 2001 TO:

Artists' Book Auction
Foundation for the Calligraphic Arts
1223 Woodward Avenue
South Bend, IN 46616