Re: a question about phone numbers

From my husband, who lived in Paris and visited often in the 50's & 60's -
he says originally, the numbers were divided up this way:

3 digits, period, 2 digits, period, 2 digits, for a total of  seven digits.
Example: 000.00.00.
Later they added the numeral "4" in front, and the resulting eight digits
were
divided up two, period, two, period, two. period, two. Ex: 40.00.00.00.

Long distance dialing required the addition of a "1" if calling from outside
the country, or "01" if dialing within France.

He thinks the numbers with the word prefixes are older than this format.

Kay Moller
Kathryn.Moller@Colorado.EDU
Preservation/Book Repair
Norlin Room M150