Re: Mylar-D

In a message dated 6/22/01 5:10:04 PM, Artframeit writes:

<< I read your post on the ConsDistList about DuPont planning to discontinue
Mylar-D later this year.  Are you sure it will happen?............
So, your news about Mylar-D's discontinuation has me concerned.  I would
appreciate any information you have about possible replacement films, and how
they compare to the high clarity and exceptional chemical stability of
Mylar-D.  >>

**********
Reply:
Apparently Mylar Type D was developed for the Graphic Arts industry and their
need has dwindled because of the use of computers. You can call Bob Reeks at
DuPont, phone 800-635-4639 for further clarification. I was told that
production would be discontinued in September.

For many years, we have been using ICI Melinex Type 516 which, according to
everyone, is identical to Mylar D -- it is equally clear and chemically
stable. Now that DuPont owns the Melinex name, they are recommending Type 516
as a replacement for Mylar D. However, DuPont and Mr. Reeks is also
recommending Melinex Type 456. It has a slightly different polymer base, but,
according to them, it is designed to be ultrasonically welded (which is of
interest to me).

I will try to do some more research on this and keep you posted.

Bill Minter

4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA   16695
814-793-4020