popup tip

out of lurk mode temporarily...when i worked as typesetter and
paste-up for a litho printer, we ended up in the bindery when times
were slow and a couple of times i ended up on the "line" making
various pop-ups. i remember a specific airplane popup we did for
British Airways....it was well designed and great on the folding and
constructing end! the designer had included tiny little hairline
guidelines in the printing of the base, where the planes' various
tabs could be lined up as we stuck them down (with double-stick
tape...) They were in areas where you couldn't see them when the
piece was folded, stuck and complete. The tabs were also just a bit
larger than the tape, to accommodate the occasional clutzy tape
attachment and make things less exacting. I don't recall having to
specially varnish or not varnish an area because of the tape. we
printed metallics and uv-coated, too and even this held fast with the
double stick. i rarely was in the bindery, but became an expert
airplane attacher thanks to the tiny little guides!  May this be a
tip to the wise!
J.