Re: The Intimidators

mschaer@EARTHLINK.NET writes:

<<  But there are some for whom argument is
 intellectual sport.  >>

 Argument can indeed be an essential intellectual sport, as long as the goal
of searching for the truth is not forgotten.

Argument should only be objectable if it starts to get personal or mean.

I've never been impressed by any individual who shys away from all argrument.
That tells me that the person just isn't willing to stand-up for what they
believe to be the truth or they just don't care what the truth really is.

A great example of this is when we were having a good-spirited discussion on
using CDs.  Nothing mean was being said and we were having a good argument on
the topic. Then the moderator, apparently 'intimidated", cut off the
discussion.  End of discussion. Nobody talks about it anymore. Dead subject.
 At that point, I lost most of my respect for this list.
Regards,
DT Fletcher