Re: Working life of blocking foils

With respect to the life of foils I was advised some time ago to keep the foil
rolls in a sealed container to avoid gradual loss of solvents and other
constituents from the adhesive and film.  The effect must be similar to the
"greasy" film that one sees nowadays on the inside of car windows because of
the loss of solvents from the plastic materials - this needs wiping off every
few weeks with alcohol or similar.

As a result I keep my foils inside a translucent, screw-top container available
from chemists (at least in the UK, so I suppose elsewhere) which  come in
various sizes for containing prescription creams and such like.  In a similar
manner I keep my gold rubber for the same reason.  This does not keep the items
indefinitely, but must at least slow down any degradation.

Rodney Fry
Crowthorne,
Berkshire,
UK