Critic (was Re: book art, book arts, art)

On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, Robin Thurlow wrote:
> art)  one is discussing or dealing with, I wonder how the historian,
> critic, dealer or collector correctly prepares him/herself?

With regard to criticism, if we can bracket as understood the usual
preparations necessary for any academic career, the precondition is that
the critic value the time he or she spends with your art or your binding
just as intensely as you value the time you spent making it.

I think that thinking in terms of artists and not-artists (or artists and
critics) is self-serving, that it unavoidably invites the privileging of
one set of assumptions, prejudices, technique, etc. over another. This is
imperialism, not art. I distrust the urge to romanticize artists or the
act of creation. So, I think that a critic prepares himself or herself
first of all by learning how to politely tune out anyone who insists that
they as an artist have special insights into Art. To take them seriously
is to suffer a kind of spiritual defeat, or, in any case, it is
incompatible with the demand that the critic have independent judgment.
Personally, I think that it is helpful for the critic to consider art as a
universal process--the process of responding to and organizing elements of
one's own life-experience.

MichaelJ