Re: book art

Robin Thurlow wrote:

>In the West, Picasso's work (and that of many of his contemporaries)
>was seen as 'original' and new, but it was in fact 'redundant' of
>African motifs/expressions of the figure.  The non-redundant thing is

>in the materials he chose, and in the singular personality of the
artist
>himself, which >shows through in his work.

A number of years ago MOMA had a geat show of Picasso and the
African art that influenced him. Beside materials and personality, in
Picasso we see African art through the eyes of the academically
trained master painter. Picasso was the son of an art teacher, and had

a rigorous classical European art education beginning in childhood.

>>There are other real reasons to exhibit new work, but they all
>> rely on the curator, dealer and artist presenting new work that is
>>in fact new.

>I disagree; if this were so, why does the artist's work become
>exponentially more >'valuable' once he or she is dead, and it has
>all been seen before, at previous exhibits?

The sentence above was about work presented as being "new."
Retrospectives and old work are not being presented as "new." Work
becomes more valuable when the artist is dead because no more can be
produced, because an estate is handling the work, and because
secondary markets come into play. It would be very nice if book art
had a secondary market.

>It would be impossible for the artist to constantly tread 'new'
>ground anyway within his or her field... only within his or
>her own body of work.

Picasso as example contradicts this. In any event, even if "new" only
within one's own work, if the work shows an evolution of the artist's
"research" or "vision" or "technique" it is of interest if the basic
direction of what that artist had established as an approach is of
interest. It then does advance the field. It's like in biochemistry or

anything else-- advances are built on a lot of small steps.

>If you could, please explain the difference between creating and
>making.  I'm unsure what you mean.

In this context, creating refers to making something new. ;>}

--
 Richard
 http://minsky.com