Re: Critic

On Tue, 11 Sep 2001, SRotolo wrote:

I appologize if I wiped out any part of your question in my attempt to
clean up the html tagging.

>If an artist doesnt have any insight into art, does a writer have any
>insight into writing? Does a musician have any insight into music? A
>carpenter to carpentry? What are you saying here?

Good question. I think I said that artists do not have SPECIAL insight
into art. I am using a hieratic notion of art, art as meaning making, art
as revelation of a qualitative dimension of human experience,
with universal application. Everyone is born with the ability to make
meaning, or to arrange the details of their life in coherent, meaningful,
patterns. Artists do not have a special insight into a dimension of
consciousness that is fundamentally human. Writing is not Art. I would say
that Poets do not have special insight into poetry. Carpenters do have
insights into carpentry, although not necessarily the one who built my
apartment.

> <BR>Art is work (to quote Milton Glaser), and any person who engages
> in such work (or any other, for that matter) better have some insight,
> or else. <BR>Think of all those dentists out there having their way
> with our teeth...that will give you spiritual defeat big time.
> <BR>&nbsp;Regards, <BR>Suze R</HTML>

ouch, suze, ouch.